HERfinance Digital Wages
The Problem: Cash is Risky, Inefficient, and Disempowering
280 million adults globally receive their private sector wages in cash.
- Employers face the risk of theft or fraud in the transportation and distribution of cash wages.
- The loss or theft of cash wages can significantly reduce take home pay for workers.
- Employers expend extensive resources in administering cash payroll, from counting cash to distributing it.
- Workers often have to stand in line to receive cash wages, which cuts into their productive or personal time.
- Women have less control over their wages when they are paid in cash.
- Cash inhibits savings, which reduces workers’ resilience to economic shocks such as illness or loss of employment.
BSR is partnering with Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation to digitize wage payments for low-income workers in global supply chains.
- We work directly with employers to support their transition from cash to digital payroll, allowing workers to receive their wages instantly and transparently into a formal account.
- We provide factory management and workers with training based on the HERfinance methodology to ease their transition to digital wages.
By converting wage payments from cash to digital, we can close the financial inclusion gap for millions of low-income workers, especially women.
- Increase timeliness, transparency, and efficiency of payroll systems.
- Support equal access to finance for men and women to help them break the cycle of poverty.
- Empower women by increasing their control over their finances and influence over household financial decision-making.
HERproject is Generously Supported by
HERproject Company Participants
- Taekwang Industrial Co., Ltd.
- New ERA Cap Co., Inc.
- New Balance Athletics Inc
- L Brands, Inc.
- Flextronics International LTD
- Fishman Tobin
- ETAM SCE
- ASDA (IPL)
- Brooks Sports Inc.
- Li & Fung Limited
- Williams-Sonoma, Inc.
- R. Twining & Company Limited
- Target Corporation
- Kate Spade & Company
- Hewlett Packard Enterprise
- Fossil, Inc.
- Ethical Trading Initiative
- Avery Dennison Corporation
- Ansell Healthcare Products Plc
- Deckers Outdoor Corporation
- C&A Foundation
- Fast Retailing Co., Ltd.
- Samsung Electronics
- Timberland LLC
- The Talbots, Inc.
- Waitrose Ltd.
- Regatta Foundation
- The Children’s Place, Inc.
- The Co-operative Food
- New Look Retailers Ltd
- Nordstrom, Inc.
- Primark Stores, Ltd.
- MQ Sweden AB
- Microsoft Corporation
- Marks and Spencer p.l.c.
- J Sainsbury plc
- J. Crew Group, Inc.
- HP Inc.
- Etam Europe
- H & M Hennes & Mauritz AB
- Forty Seven Brand
- Columbia Sportswear Company
- C&J Clark International Ltd.
- Burberry Group, plc
- DEG - Deutsche Investitions-und Entwicklungsges. mbH
- BESTSELLER A/S
- Belk, Inc.
- Ann Inc.
- American Eagle Outfitters, Inc.
- Abercrombie & Fitch Co.
- AB Lindex
- Levi Strauss Foundation
To unlock the full potential of women working in global supply chains through workplace programs promoting health, financial inclusion, and gender equality. Download an overview of HERproject. Download an overview of HERproject.
BSR is a global nonprofit organization that works with its network of more than 250 member companies and other partners to build a just and sustainable world. From its offices in Asia, Europe, and North America, BSR develops sustainable business strategies and solutions through consulting, research, and cross-sector collaboration. Visit www.bsr.org for more information about BSR’s 25 years of leadership in sustainability.